This page outlines the policy and procedures related to the Department Seminar Series.
F&WE Seminar Series
The Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology Seminar Series provides a forum for graduate students, post-docs, faculty, and staff to interact with distinguished scientists and promote the exchange of emerging concepts across institutions.
Soliciting, selecting, and scheduling seminar speakers is the responsibility of the Seminar Series Committee, which will include at least one graduate student appointed by the Committee Chair and Department Chair. Nomination of potential speakers and hosting of chosen speakers will be the responsibility of members (student, faculty, and staff) of the department. Speakers can be drawn from other campuses, universities, or institutions or within the University of Wisconsin- Madison, including faculty, postdoctoral associates, and staff scientists. The Seminar Series Committee will issue a call for speakers in advance of the academic semester for purposes of assembling a schedule of speakers for the upcoming academic year. It is an expectation that FW&E faculty will participate as speakers. Hence, the committee may wish to establish a rolling schedule for faculty presenters. In addition to on-campus speakers, visiting speakers will be accommodated each year within the budgetary limits determined by the Chair and subject to the guidelines specified in this document.
Any departmental member wishing to invite a speaker must adhere to the following protocol:
- Nomination deadline for complete coverage of visiting speakers during an upcoming academic year will be 9 August and 1 January unless revised by the Seminar Speaker After each semester deadline, applications will continue be accepted, but are unlikely to receive financial support sufficient to cover the majority of the visiting speaker’s travel costs.
- Nomination forms (link below) should be sent electronically to the Chair of the Seminar Series Committee, who will distribute the packet of nominations to committee members immediately after the deadline.
- The committee will make selections based on the following criteria (which need not be given equal weight):
- Source of nomination (groups of graduate students > groups of faculty/staff > single graduate student > single faculty/staff member)
- Strength of justification
- Appeal of the speaker’s topic and relevance to the department
- Evidence that the speaker will give an engaging seminar
- Global importance of topic to science and society
- Cost of visit, with consideration given to use of matching funds
- Equal representation of forestry- and wildlife-oriented talks
- The chair will notify nominators of committee decisions, as well as possible dates available for the visiting speakers.
- Nominators will coordinate with the Committee Chair to invite and schedule speakers.
- Nominators will act as host, providing pertinent reading material before their visit, arranging lodging and transportation and scheduling meetings with students, faculty and staff during the speaker’s visit.
- The Seminar Series Committee will advertise the visit, arrange for coffee and snacks prior to the seminar and aid the host, when needed.
- This policy and associated guidelines took effect during the 2011-12 academic year.
FWE Seminar Speaker Online Nomination Form
If you have questions about F&W Ecology Department Seminar Series, contact the Seminars Committee Chair (see list of committee and leadership assignments).This article was posted in General Policies.